Self Published Authors
Congratulations on the publication of your book! We are so very excited for you and appreciate the great effort that this work represents. Thank you for sharing it with us.
We will make every effort to examine your book and evaluate its potential for selling in our store as soon as possible. Please be aware, however, that we usually have a very large number of books to consider and may not be able to examine your book as quickly as you would like. We ask you to please be gracious with your understanding of our time.
A few things to consider before submitting your book:
- It should be professionally proofed, edited, designed and published.
- It should have a spine with the title and author on it.
- It should be priced comparable to others of its type.
- It should be appropriate for our store. For example, it should not be in a genre that we do not stock or promote.
Due to limited shelf space we take self-published or self-promoted books on a consignment basis for local authors only. If we accept your book, we will pay you 60% of the retail price for any copies that we sell. We review the status of consignment titles twice a year, in January and July. If a title has not sold well, we request that the author pick up unsold copies at that time. Copies that are not picked up are donated or destroyed per standard industry procedures.
If you are not local to the area, your book must be available to us through Ingram with a 40% or greater discount, and must be returnable. If we decide to carry your book we will stock through Ingram.
If we stock your book, we ask that your promotional materials direct customers to The Country Bookshop. We also ask that your website directs orders to our store at www.thecountrybookshop.biz and/or to www.indiebound.com, the independent bookstores’ national online site.
If, after reading this, you would like us to consider your book please leave a non-returnable review copy along with contact information for the author and distributor, as well as the wholesale/retail price.
If you are requesting an event with us (due to the expense of events and volume of requests, we have to turn down most requests,) please provide the following information with the copy of your book:
- Why the event would be successful
- Number of family and friends who would attend & purchase the book
- Ways you would promote the event
- Local publicity you could generate
- Whether or not you will be at other stores/venues in our area.
Thank you for sharing your book with us! We wish you every success.
The Country Bookshop
140 NW Broad Street
Southern Pines, NC 28387